Fill your container with water.
2. Place a ball of modelling clay
the water gently.
3. What happens to the ball of modelling
4. Take the ball of modelling clay
out of the water.
5. Take some more modelling clay
and mold it into the shape of a
6. Now place your
boat on the top of the water very
6. What happens with your boat of
What makes boats float?
Water supports a boat
by pushing upwards on the bottom of
the boat and therefore it does not
Water cannot support
a boat if it has a very heavy load.
A very heavy load would
cause a boat to sink. Also, the shape
of a boat plays an important role
If you took some modelling
clay in the
shape of a ball it would sink; but
if you mold it into the shape of
a boat it should float.